Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Reporters don't want to admit they like Perry? Sounds right...

Today’s Houston Chronicle carries an article on Gov. Rick Perry’s policies and his background. I realize we will be reading a lot about Perry and his policy decisions.

The headline says it all -- "Perry Change Not For Better" - http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/falkenberg/7698834.html

But this one begged my response, which I provided in an email to the reporter:


Lisa, I read your article and want to point out that I believe Gov. Perry said that he made a mistake in how he did the HPV vaccine by executive order, not that he wanted girls to have access to the vaccine.

I am a conservative who did not oppose the vaccine, but his putting forth an executive order just before the start of that session, and not having briefed or consulted the health-related legislative committees, and not making it an “opt in” were things he considers could have been done differently.

I am a mother who has had cancer, and my daughter got the HPV vaccine.

I was with Gov. Perry at the budget signing in Amarillo recently and on the plane he talked to me about that decision and said that he realizes he could have done it differently. Then he said one thing that resonates with me – he’s said it other times too - “I hate cancer.” He believes that if there is anything he can do in his position to rid society of cancer, he will. He has a keen interest in medical research and including the use of adult stem cells.

This is not an issue we at AFP have taken a position on as we are fiscal-policy focused, but I admire someone who is willing to step out there, even if they occasionally admitting that they could have done it better. In my book, it beats voting “present”.

Thanks for your article. Frankly, I still see that guy from Paint Creek in the old car. I think what you see is what you get. But then I’m a West Texas gal.

Thanks for what you do, Lisa. – Peggy

What I failed to address was the obvious – starting her article with: "The strangest thing happened the other day. I started to like Rick Perry. This is something I haven't even discussed with my husband, or my very conservative parents.."

Doesn’t that just say it all – that reporters don’t want to like conservative officials. At least she prefaced her diatribe with that. At least readers know where she is coming from. Thanks for the honesty, Lisa Falkenberg!


1 comment:

S. L. Haynes said...

Peggy, Falkenberg is the typical liberal writer for sure. Therefore, everything she writes is suspect.