Saturday, May 23, 2009

Dems on thin ice

As Democrats stall by asking stupid questions of Local and Consent bills -- taking just under the 10 minutes which would kill the bill - their stock is falling with voters.

Texas voters have overwhelming supported using an I.D. to vote, and the Democrats are stalling as long as possible hoping to kill Voter I.D. legislation.

Would Gov. Perry call a special session to handle Voter I.D.? Very likely if legislators waste their time in Austin attempting to avoid taking on this topic. While voters want their vote to count, Democrats will not be able to justify stalling or denying this very basic measure.

Don't have an I.D.? Perhaps those legal residents who do not have an I.D. should get one - and I anticipate there would be plenty of elected officials and candidates who could help them do so. Are they disabled? Elderly? They could vote absentee and would not need to show an I.D. Chances are, much of the voter fraud is taking place in absentee voting. But refusing to require an I.D. for voting makes no sense.

The critical question is this: Why would Democrats not want voters to certify that they are the individual who is casting a legal vote?

Simple questions that deserve simple answers. It's not about "disinfranchising any minorities". I anticiapte Democrats will have some explaining to do when they head home. Questions like "why didn't you do the people's business while in Austin?" and "why did you force a special session?"

No comments: